AUDITIONS FOR POTUS: or, Behind Every Great Dumbass Are Seven Women Trying to Keep Him Alive
BY SELINA FILLINGER
DIRECTED BY ABIGAIL MCNEELY
May 3 – May 18, 2024
One four-letter word is about to rock 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. When the President unwittingly spins a PR nightmare into a global crisis, the seven brilliant and beleaguered women he relies upon most risk life, liberty, and the pursuit of sanity to keep the commander-in-chief out of trouble.
- Harriet : The President’s Chief of Staff, who really runs the country. Her first crisis is that the president has used a vulgar word for women to describe his wife, aka FLOTUS.
- Jean: The Press Secretary who works non-stop with Harriet to put out fire after fire throughout the show.
- Stephanie: The president’s mousy personal secretary who speaks five languages but is terribly mistreated and lacks self-confidence. Once she accidentally ingests hallucinogens though, she spends the remainder of the play smeared with blood and wearing an American flag and a flotation device.
- Dusty: The president’s most recent ‘dalliance’ who has come to the White House to celebrate the news of their upcoming baby.
- Bernadette : The president’s recently released from prison for being an international drug mule, sister. She is supposed to look so much like her brother that at one point the other women conspire to have her impersonate him.
- Chris : A White House reporter who’s newly divorced and fearful of being replaced at her job by a younger man. She stalks the White House looking for scandal, of which there is plenty to find – although she winds up being the cause of one of them.
- Margaret : The FLOTUS and somewhat of a combination of the last two or so real-life First Ladies. Harvard-educated but constantly concerned about public opinion while also toting a gun and enjoys seeing a beast suffer.
Questions? Email [email protected]